Ontario is the most populated Canadian province; it is facing a skilled labor shortage. Therefore, Ontario’s Provincial Nominee Program (OINP) plays a critical role in helping to meet this demand. However, the system currently receives more applicants than it is allowed to select. In December 2019, Vic Fedeli, the Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade of Ontario, asked to double the number of immigration candidates that Ontario can select for its Provincial Nominee Program. Most Ontario PNP immigration streams operate on a first-come, first-served basis. Candidates under Ontario immigration streams aligned with Express Entry are selected from a pool of all qualified candidates through a Notification of Interest.
To receive a provincial nomination, candidates must first qualify under one of the Ontario PNP streams.
Human Capital Category
The Human Capital Category itself divides into two sub-streams and they are linked with the Express Entry system. The following programs fall into the Human Capital Category: Ontario Express Entry sub-stream:
- Human Capital Priorities: This category includes the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) and Canadian Experience Class (CEC).
- Skilled Trades: For individuals with relevant Ontario work experience in an eligible trade occupation.
- French-Speaking Skilled Worker: This program operates, like Human Capital Priorities, through FSWP and CEC. Applicants for French-Speaking Skilled Worker must have strong skills in both French and English.
The following categories are not aligned with Express Entry. An applicant must create a profile and register an expression of interest (EOI) but it comes under Human Capital Category: International Graduates sub-stream. The application fee is CAD $1500 and processing takes around 30-60 days or more depends on the province.
- Master’s Graduate Stream: For individuals who received Master’s degrees from an Ontario University
- Ph.D. Graduate Stream: For individuals who received Ph.D.’s from an Ontario University.
The following are the minimum requirements under the Human Capital Category:
- Must have enough money to support yourself and your family.
- Must intend to live in Ontario province.
- Must meet the additional requirements for the stream you are applying for.
Employer Job Offer Category: The following programs fall under this category which is as follows:
- Foreign worker stream: This category is for skilled workers;
- International students: This category is for recent graduates of Ontario post-secondary institutions;
- In-demand skills stream: This category is for intermediate skilled workers in certain sectors, such as agriculture, construction, trucking, and personal support workers.
- Must have a full-time, permanent job offer in an eligible occupation in Ontario;
- Must have work experience, license, or other authorization that is required to perform the job;
- Must intend to live in Ontario;
- An employer must meet additional requirements (business, revenue, employment).
Ontario Regional Immigration Pilot Category
The Regional Immigration Pilot works as part of the Employer Job Offer Category. The pilot helps Ontario attract and retain immigrants to rural and small communities in Ontario to fill labor shortages. It also supports the growth of the economy in these communities.
This pilot is for people who have a job offer from an employer in a pilot community. Ontario has 150 nomination spaces for 2021 available. If you want to apply for the pilot category, you first must register an Expression of Interest (EOI) and you will be asked if you intend to apply under the Regional Immigration Pilot.
Three pilot communities are part of the Ontario Regional Immigration Pilot:
- Cities of Belleville and Quinte West;
- The city of Cornwall.
To be eligible, you must:
- Have a full-time, permanent job offer from an employer in one of the pilot communities;
- Meet the criteria for one of the Employer Job Offer streams.
OINP Business Category
The Business Category is for those applicants who want to start a business or buy an existing business in Ontario. There is currently only one stream under the Business Category – Entrepreneur Stream. The application fee is CAD $3500 and processing of Expression of Interest takes around a month. The Application processing varies on the type of business and complexity.
- Must have business experience of 24 months in the last 60 months
- Must be actively involved in the management and control at least one-third of the equity in the business. The main purpose of investing must be to make a profit.
- Must create at least two permanent full-time jobs for Canadian citizens or permanent residents, if it will be in GTA, or one permanent full-time job if the business will be outside the GTA.
- Must have a net worth of CAD $800,000 in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) or CAD $400,000 if the business will be located outside the GTA
- Must make a minimum personal investment of CAD $600,000 in the GTA or CAD $200,000 if the business will be located outside the GTA
- Must meet additional requirements if you are purchasing an existing business. If the business is in the information and communications sector, or digital communications sector, only one full-time job is required, regardless of location.
Canadian immigration comprises of various programs. Contact us today for full details about how we can work with you based on your profile. We are glad to discuss your immigration-related questions or queries.
The best way to start is to have a free initial consultation. Contact us via the details below or send us your details.